VISION: To be a center of excellence in generating, management and transferring of geographical (spatial) and climate science knowledge to promote sustainable development.
MISSION: To advance high quality education and training, pursue excellence in spatial and climate sciences research and provide community outreach services to meet society needs that contribute to sustainable development.
- Promote the stature of the department from local to global levels.
- Enhance scholarship in traditional and emerging scholarly areas that prepare scientifically competent students.
- Strengthen the quality of academic programs to equip students with high personal and professional skills.
- Sustain and conduct trans-disciplinary research that contributes to the advancement of geographical knowledge.
- Enhance the intellectual and collegial atmosphere for discourse and contribution to international scholarship.
- Enhance and optimize the use of geo-information technology to improve teaching/learning, research and public engagement.
- Mobilisation of funds for research, training and outreach.
- Increase the dissemination of research results.
- Increase participation of departmental staff in scientific and public events.
- Strengthen research labs and facilities for research and teaching/learning.
- Facilitate the use of geo-information technology in spatial analysis and meteorological applications.